The Technical Side: The Process

I am as well responsible for the technical side of Record ‘97. I will be designing the lighting and sound for our show. I will be doing this by associating the requirements of the script by working with the writers.

Sound

The cue sheets I made ready for the tech rehearsal (Cockerill, 2017)

18620189_1324576860930720_9189137567711807782_n

What the stage looked like with the general wash (Cockerill, 2017)

The director wants the lighting very naturalistic as it is set in a record store and in a world of everyday life. The opening of the show will have neon disco lights which are to signify to the members of the audience that we are having a New Year’s Eve rave to start the year 1997. We are also having transitions in to move to the next scene, so the lights will be going from a general wash to a red wash to highlight the serious issues happening around that time. In one of the scenes, I came up with the idea of showing an actual purple spotlight when the character Alex states “Imagine it. A dark stage. A single purple spotlight…” (Briggs, 2017).

The idea of having Alex in a spotlight so the audience are in the moment with her (Noble, 2017)

For the sound, we wanted no music before 1990 and no music after 1997. And sourcing most sounds was fairly simple. The writer and director confided in me what they wanted. So far, I am finding this job slightly terrifying as I am doing it by myself and I have never done lighting and sound design before.

Works Cited:

Breakfast At Tiffany’s- Deep Blue Something. (1995). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgJ5On8Zso [Accessed 29 May 2017].

Cockerill, A. (2017) Cue Sheets[image] Lincoln Performing Arts Centre: Kick A Pigeon Theatre.

Cockerill, A. (2017) Set[image] Lincoln Performing Arts Centre: Kick A Pigeon Theatre.

First BBC News Report – Princess Diana crash (Saturday 30th August 1997). (2015). Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2YCQIPNuOE [Accessed 29 May 2017].

Noble, R. (2017) Spotlight Idea. [image] Lincoln Performing Arts Centre: Kick A Pigeon Theatre.